UPDATE 12/20/16: The fire on Friday night has been deemed accidental. Fire officials say candles may have been involved in the fire, while the recent snowfall and bitter cold made it difficult for the crews battling the fire and investigating.
A home on Glen Eton Road in Wasaga Beach was destroyed by a fire on the weekend. Fire crews were called to the home on Friday night, and say that all residents of the home were out safely before crews arrived but a pet cat died in the fire.
Fire Chief Mike McWilliam said the initial call said that the fire had started in a living room, but crews are still determining the source of the fire and its point of origin. One of the building’s tenants was a single mom with two young boys, and a crowdfunding campaign has been started to help the residents who had their homes destroyed just before Christmas. They are also asking anyone with boys’ clothes size 7-8 and 10 to donate, with drop off locations at The Pita Palace and Blue Shores Fish and Chips. You can visit the crowdfunding page here, or follow the link below.